Wipf Organic Synthesis Problem Set Sessions
Guidelines for WOSYPROSS
• Name reactions, fields of research, new techniques, as well as specific research papers are of interest for us; please try to actively engage the audience; if necessary, use bribes.
• The specific topic for a WOSYPROSS session will be announced ca. 1-8 weeks before the meeting. It most often correlated to a review, journal publication, research area, or text book chapter.
• If the topic deals with actual reaction mechanisms, students will have to show detailed transformations on the board, including correct reaction arrows.
• Regular meetings take place on Tuesdays from 12:00 to 12:50 PM in 13x CSC, according to the schedule listed at http://ccc.chem.pitt.edu/wipf/MECHOM_Topics.html. All Wipf Group Members are required to attend and expected to participate.
For general sources of information for reaction mechanisms and name reactions, see:
- The Merck Index
For synthetic organic chemistry problems, noteworthy total syntheses and important reaction information, see:
For tables of pKa's, see:
- Prof. Reich's table
- Prof. Evan's table
Nucleophilicity depends on many factors (15-20 different parameters, including solvation effects). Therefore, it is very difficult to establish a general nucleophilicity order for all common nucleophiles in different solvents. For some general effects, see:
- the solvent effects on the rate of the SN2 reaction of triethylamine and ethyliodide (the Menschutkin reaction)
- the nucleophile reactvitiy scale
Back to Main Group Page